Sunday, April 26, 2009

It's all fun and games until it harshes your squee

Ah, Facebook, what did we ever do without you? How would we know the five things that terrify all of our friends? How would we ever find out what color defines us? How would we stalk down our high school enemies and future crushes?

But what happens when the realities that Facebook offers destroys the shiny before it has a chance to start? Perhaps it's for the best, as we found out with our latest crush. Our good friend Facebook tried to warn us that maybe the vaguely geeky cute boy we met wasn't perhaps as cute as we remembered. That perhaps we should have found out more about the young man in question for our mutual friend, thereby sparing us the shock of hunting as a hobby.

But we'll still give him a chance. Don't judge a book by it's status updates and all that. But a girl must consider herself warned.

Of course, days from now, we might face the uncomfortable FB defriending.

3 comments:

  1. I'm of two minds about this. On the on hand, there is a Whew! Factor to consider. Whew! as in "THAT is good to know" before you get started. But then there's harshing of the squee. "Why you wanna kill my buzz, Facebook?"

    Can you meet old-fashionedly in a computer age? Or rather can you resist the temptation to make sure your new dude isn't on your local sex offender list or has never had a misdemeanor or a decisive "not" on Hot or Not?

    I know a precious little college man whom I loved to pieces ... until I saw the mass o' inappropriateness on his Facebook page. It was TMI and "oh no you din't" for all the world to see. And now, I admit, I love him to less pieces.

    So here's the question: Should your standards for a signif now include a Google score as well as a credit score? Hmmm. How very Carrie Bradshaw of me to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I am all about the criminal background check. How else can you properly vet a potential mate? Admittedly, in this instance, the man in question comes with excellent references from a trust-worthy mutual friend. But having done the match.com/eharmony thing before, I can categorically say that PublicData.com and Google are a girl's best friend.

    So how much should we be judged by our Internet footprint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough one. I think it does give insight to who you are, in one aspect of your life or another. (And I'm all for discovering a criminal history.) But maybe the romantic in me thinks some things should unfold naturally. I would not want to be judged my by Internet footprint, such that it is. But I also know it may take a while for me to share with a potential Person so of the things I'm freely comfortable with sharing online.

    You mentioned eharmony. It's sort of like when you can see how many people VIEWED you, the for whatever reason, clicked away. It irks me to no end that someone saw something or read a sentence or SOMEthing just vetoed me in general without giving me a chance to be my charming self.

    Thing is, I'm guilty of that, too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete